Prenatal massage is a wonderful way to reduce stress and increase relaxation during the months of changes during your pregnancy.
It is performed in a comfortable sidelying or semi-reclining position on the massage table, bolstered by pillows to support and cradle the body.
There are many potential benefits to prenatal massage, such as:
- reduced maternal blood pressure, heart, and respiratory rate
- counters negative effects of prenatal stress
- increased oxytocin and feelings of well-being
- enhanced immune function
- reduced labor time and complications
- fewer prenatal complications
- increased uterine blood supply to enhance fetal health
Though it is beneficial throughout pregnancy, it does not replace medical or midwifery prenatal care, so it is wise to consult your doctor before receiving a prenatal massage.
After giving birth, a new mother needs time to adjust and heal. Postpartum massage can help with and often can begin 24 hours after delivery. Some of the goals of massage post-pregnancy include:
- providing nurturing and emotional support
- healing from labor
- preventing strain and pain from childcare activities
- reducing residual pelvic and back pain
I am certified as a Prenatal Massage Therapist. Please contact me for more info, or to schedule an appointment.